As a professional translation services company in business for 20+ years, this is a question we get often.
(Note: even though some of the largest companies on earth provide services for auto-translation, due to the low maturity level of automated or machine translation, accuracy is not expected nor guaranteed.)
First, let’s start with the short and simple answer – the first fork in the road if you will:
Do you care about the quality of the translated content, does it have to be an accurate representation of your original (source) site? If the answer is NO, then you can use one of the automatic translation tools available today. (See end of this article for a list of the 2 largest well-known automated translators.)
If the answer is YES, then read on…
To achieve a top-quality, accurate representation of your source site in other languages, there is no “one-click” solution, you need to utilize a professional translations services provider like us.
Websites are unique in terms of translation projects. Since 1998, we have evolved with the web technologies in the marketplace and consider website translation a core capability. Website translations can be complex and require a deeper dive to answer key questions regarding scope and expectations.
There are many factors to consider – here are some of the main ones:
- What type of Content Management System (CMS) do you use? Do you own this or is handled by a 3rd party?
- Scope of the content for translation – you need to consider linked content, “invisible” content and so on. Does your site have audio and/or video to translate?
- File formats (and versions) your system or team can work with – HTML, XML, etc.
- Type of site you have now, and will the target sites be a full “mirror” of this, or a subset?
- Dynamic content on your site (such as forms or automated queries).
- Site hosting: before and after – can your hosting provider support all the languages you are seeking?
- Proper QA of the final site(s) – not just the raw, translated content.
These are just some of the items to consider as you move towards a fully translated (localized) site that will have accurate and meaningful content for your target audiences.
To summarize, the best way to get your site accurately translated or localized into 2 or more languages is to work closely with a translations services firm who can properly analyze your current site – and your goals – to provide a robust solution to fit your needs and budget.
Contact us today, we can provide a FREE copy of our Foreign Translations’ Website Questionnaire, a 2-page PDF which provides the essentials you need to cover, in an easy questionnaire format.
2 well-known resources for automated translation (see quality/accuracy discussion above before you choose this route):
- Website Translator – Google Translate — https://translate.google.com/manager/website
- Microsoft Translator — https://translator.microsoft.com/apps/edge/
You have questions – translation costs? Translate my document to other languages?
How do I hire and work with a translation agency? I need translation services…
We have answers!
— Stress-free language solutions for your business —
Foreign Translations is a professional translation services company serving clients nationwide since 1998. We specialize in language solutions in the fields of document translation, localization services, desktop publishing and much more! Using advanced software and top-notch human linguistic experts around the world, we enable clients to affordably reach target audiences in the languages and channels necessary for their success!
Contact FT today